07 June 2009

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite." - William Blake

i may or may not have shared my views on the folds in fabric with you before.


"I looked down by chance, and went on passionately staring by choice, at my own crossed legs.  Those folds in the trousers - what a labyrinth of endlessly significant complexity!  And the texture of the gray flannel - how rich, how deeply, mysteriously sumptuous!  ...In the average Madonna or Apostle the strictly human, fully representational element accounts for about ten per cent of the whole.  All the rest consists of many colored variations on the inexhaustible theme of crumpled wool or linen... What the rest of us see only under the influence of mescalin, the artist is congenitally equipped to see all the time.  His perception is not limited to what is biologically or socially useful.  A little of the knowledge belonging to the Mind at Large oozes past the reducing valve of the brain and ego, into his consciousness.  It is a knowledge of the intrinsic significance of every existent.  For the artist as for the mescalin taker draperies are living hieroglyphs that stand in some peculiarly expressive way for the unfathomable mystery of pure being... the folds of my gray flannel trousers were charged with "is-ness."  To what they owed this privileged status, I cannot say.  Is it, perhaps because the forms of folded drapery are so strange and dramatic that they catch the eye and in this way force the miraculous fact of sheer existence upon the attention?  Who knows?  What is important is less the reason for the experience than the experience itself... "This is how one ought to see," I kept saying as I looked down at my trousers..."

- Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception

1 comments:

jaime said...

I really liked that quote- and i think it's cool that it was a special part for you, because as an artist you choose to pay attention to the silent subtleties of life, which have infinite interesting-ness hidden within them, and there is no rhyme or reason to noticing them, not because you have to, but because you are simply fascinated with life. Soooo cool.
And I like this line..."What is important is less the reason for the experience than the experience itself..."