28 September 2007

this is way beyond my remote concern of being condescending

the following is imported from sarah's blag:

.....

"I was at this meal, and it came up that one of the people was a smoker, and somebody else at the table started hectoring them about it.  'What's the matter with you?  Don't you know how bad it is for you?  It'll do this, that and the other thing to you... and you really should stop.'  And the smoker, rather than saying 'fuck you, mind your own business,' which I think, is the appropriate response, was abashed and defensive.  'Oh, I tried to quit,' and 'yeah, I'm gonna try again,' and 'you're right, you're right' and so on.

At the same table, there was a quite large woman, and I was wondering, what if this guy, instead of confronting the smoker, had said to the large woman.  'What's the matter with you, you fat pig?  Don't you know how dangerous it is to be so overweight?'  and 'Stop eating, for God's sake, and don't you dare get dessert' and 'What's the matter with you?'  Same logic.  I'd be hard-pressed to find a distinction between those two examples.  So one is now socially acceptable - to hector smokers - but the other one isn't quite yet."

- Supersize Me

Seriously, obese people are so disgusting.  I wish I could walk up to people on the street and tell them that they are taking up too much space, and that they are a strain on society.  (Fat people take up more room on the subways, eat more than their share, are extremely difficult to care for in a hospital setting, are difficult to transport in ambulances, cause planes to be over their maximum weight and therefore unsafe to fly, etc.)  It isn't that hard to control your intake, to walk a few extra steps.  And their excuses are so lame and stupid.  The can't afford a gym membership... "walk to the gym and back, and you'll have gotten exercise for free" or they don't have time to cook... "It's just as easy and cheap to buy an apple and carrot sticks as a big mac."  People are so oblivious, they will eat anything they want regardless of what is good for their body.  For example, me and sukhdeep got cupcakes yesterday.  The average person would have been like "Today I had a snack.  It was a cupcake."  But what we think is "I had been waiting all week for a treat like a cupcake.  I budgeted my calories so that the 450-550 calories in a Crumbs cupcake would still allow my daily intake to be be below 1500, and I'm not planning to eat any other high caloric items (that have no nutritional value) for at least several days."

I am really grateful to have a friend like suki who knows about nutrition.  Because in terms of food, just about everyone else makes me want to puke.  I'm not sorry if this offends you, because if it does, you probably eat too many calories and don't exercise enough.
.....

Gosh, I love Sarah. Props for your unabashed blog. Obese people don't disgust me, but I really feel people should at least be conscious of what is going into their bodies.  (Although I can agree in most instances, it is their own fault).  It's not even about being fat or skinny, it's about being healthy.  I was never overweight, but I used to be super gross.  I didn't eat a lot, but what I ate was absolutely disgusting.  I counted calories and thought that was all that mattered.  And I did that simply because I didn't know any better.  One nutrition class and several books and articles later, I have a new found appreciation for healthful eating and exercise.  I weigh more than I used to when I ate junk because I eat more and gained muscle mass, and I feel pretty damn great even though the numbers went up the scale (I'm talking 10+ pounds).  I cut the majority of Americans some slack though because the cheaper or more affordable chain restaurants serve unhealthy foods in literally double the recommended portions, so people learn to think that this is an okay amount to eat.  You know there is something wrong when I feel slightly sick/lethargic after not even finishing my entree at Friday's, Applebee's, etc, but feel great after an appetizer AND entree AND dessert at a high quality place. It costs these companies extra cents to put all that excess food on your plate, but then they can charge you dollars more and you feel alright about it because you have this big plate of food in front of you.  Oh yea, and that four dollar cup of "coffee" from starbucks?  Look around at the pseudo-art on the walls while you're waiting for your drink - realllllly take it in.. because thats where your money's going. You're furnishing an atmosphere that you've already become habituated to and fattening corporate wallets all for a shitty (but admittedly convenient) cup of joe. Our country pours millions of dollars into anti-drug and smoking campaigns, but we so quickly overlook the most basic way we poison ourselves.. AND its socially acceptable!!  Heart disease, not lung cancer, is the number one killer of Americans.  And what do you think is the number one cause of that?  Poor nutrition.   Its not like I'm perfect.  I eat cakes and cookies and desserts because I love them.  They make me so happy and are so wonderful.  But.. you have to keep in mind how much of that dessert you are eating.  This is going to sound so lame, but the first bite tastes the same as the last.. you really don't have to finish the wholeee thing every time.  Plus I try to balance it out by packing on the fruits and veggies the rest of the day.  It's your body - you only get one.  People put more thought into the gas that goes into their cars.  Isn't your body's fuel more important?!? Oh, and what annoys me most is when people say "why are you watching what you're eating?!  you don't need to be worrying."  pshhhhht.  why do you think i'm in shape... cause i maddd worry about it yo.  rant rant rant.  can you tell this is important to me yet?  haha -.-  It's actually probably a littttttle ridiculous how much i think about nutrition.  but i can't help it.  i love food & you wouldn't want something you love to hurt you, n'est pas?

4 comments:

Victor said...

it feels damn good to know youre in shape. keep 'em endorphins coming!

jamie j gollogly said...

Thankfully, though, this is not Deustchland in 1945, but the modern world, 2008. We've figured out that actually, obesity - which is a very broad term, but whatever - is actually caused by a number of factors, not just blatant disregard for oneself (and oh! of course, the judgemental eyes of others); one such factor is a little something science likes to call genetics.

My mom - by scientific standards - is obese. Contrary to fascist thinking, however, she is not "difficult to transport in an ambulance," nor does she recklessly endanger the lives of others every time she steps on an airplane. She doesn't cause elevators to plummet down the shaft, nor does she get stuck in revolving doors. You see, thankfully most of our society has adapted to fit the needs of EVERYONE who lives in it. And lucky for us, skilled - and apparently thoughtful - engineers have created technologies which accomodate even the largest of people. As for me, I've never heard of a plane being over it's "maximum weight" due to a hoard of fatties on board. So sorry, FLIGHT GROUNDED DUE TO UNSIGHTLY HERD OF FAT TOURISTS will have to wait for another day.

Unfortunately, the weight issue is one that is VERY prevalent in our culture. You see, not everybody can afford to visit Whole Foods, Trader Joes or even Gristedes, for that matter. For many blue collar laborers working the graveyard shift at six bucks an hour, it's much easier (and a hell of a lot cheaper) to stop by the drive thru at 5 in the morning and pick up some fast food for the family. This leads to a vicious cycle of cheap, convenient fatty foods served up in the majority of American households. Even fresh fruit and vegetables are a luxury we, in our privileged perch in the rich Northeast, take for granted.

So change does need to happen. And it is! McDonalds, the icon of shitty food is now offering salad, fruit and bottled water. Subway has led the healthy "fast-food" charge since 1999. Everywhere, "Low-Fat" and "Zero" appear on food labels. Celebrities, movie makers and musicians are promoting healthy lifestyles. And the American government is taking increasing steps towards public awareness and alternative health programs.

But hopefully this happens even faster, before the prying, judging eyes and hands of our social Gestapo kick down my door and with a "HEIL HEALTHY EATING!" slam my mom in prison and make my mom even more self conscious than she probably already is.

jamie j gollogly said...

as an afterthought:

i, for the record, am in shape.

i do count calories and try to balance my diet.

i don't judge people who don't. the same way i don't judge smokers, the same way i don't judge gays and lesbians, the same way i don't judge people for their religious ideologies (or lack thereof), etc etc etc. it's all the same shit.

andy jiang said...

major ditto to jamie's comment! well said